Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Restrictions on Downloading and Software

Courtesy of Hansol

I’m currently mulling over a new initiative by the local authority (LA) which is apparently set to ultimately affect everyone working within local authorities. We have been recently issued with notice that we won’t be able to download anything from the internet or upload any software onto LA computers. This is due to the recent very public issues government (in most forms) has faced with losing lists, confidentiality etc. If I want to continue using the computer as I do now then I will need to make a special case and get special approval to do so.

I’ve been reflecting on how this will now affect peoples’ practice. What does this mean for me? Well I use a number of online tools which (to be used more effectively) I need to download some software, or equally if I’ve done work on line using these tools and if I want to be able to use what I’ve been working on I need to be able to download things. (Documents from Google Docs, using online bookmarks like Delicious, downloading supporting photos from Flickr, mind maps from bubblus, etc etc).

I also download various PDF files to read them and to disseminate the information to others, including young people. That’s without thinking of the additional software I need for doing some of the video editing I’ve been involved in (although I usually use my own computer for that anyway but it doesn’t negate the feeling that this directive brings) and also what about music, podcasts etc?!?!  In an era where we are trying to encourage and develop more collaborative ways of working it feels like I’m about to be chained to the past by what feels like a knee jerk (although no doubt well thought through in parts) reaction!

Part of my mulling is to challenge myself. Is this just my reaction to Change or actually do I have some valid arguements? Your thoughts would be welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment