Monday, March 8, 2010

Back Up Wordpress Blog With Wget

One risk of keeping my notepad online is the eventual disappearance of WordPress.com. Backing up my ‘blog is of utmost importance. WordPress has a built-in export function, which I do use, but it is most useful for reloading the ‘blog into a WordPress-driven site. I also wanted a way to create a local copy of my notepad for local browsing and for quick upload to a non-WordPress site if the need arose. Enter, wget.

Wget is one very useful tool. In a nutshell, it gets files, even entire sites, from the Web. I did a quick search and found this posting that provides a recommended set of command line options. I removed the -w and -H parameters and limited the -D parameter to my ‘blog only. Also, I used the shorter flags for brevity (e.g. -m for –mirror, -k for –convert-links, etc.).

wget -m -p –E -k -Dbrandonsnotepad.wordpress.com -P ~/var/tmp/Notepad http://brandonsnotepad.wordpress.com

Now I can keep a local copy or even burn it to for use on other machines.

[Via http://brandonsnotepad.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment